I then sewed the strips together into a panel. Using a modified (shrunk to about 80% size) template, I cut several pieces using the template face up and then several with the template face down (reversed). According to the pattern, you are supposed to line up the dotted lines on the template with the seams in your panel to get the correct angle on the feather barbs, but I didn't really follow this since I wanted it to be more liberated. Plus, I was just too lazy and I would rather conserve fabric, but that's just me.
|Template Face Up|
|Template Face Down|
I used a navy Kona for the rachis (center line) of the feather and Kona Snow for the background (I will be sending these fabrics out to my bee mates). I trimmed the block to 16" x 8" leaving about 1" of the background fabric above the tip of the feather and about 1 1/2" of navy quill at the bottom.