Monday, August 4, 2008

Chester

Chester the Kelley Family Cat has passed away

My mom called me yesterday to tell me that Chester, our family cat, had passed away. He was getting up there in age and I believe that it was just his time.

He had a full and adventurous life with our family. It all started on the roof of the art building at my old high school. I was there taking a night class, and during a break, we heard noises coming from the roof. Someone had obviously thrown a kitten up there. It was raining and cold, so we climbed up to get him and I ended up taking him home.

At first he didn't get along with our other two cats, but he scratched and bit his way into the family and finally they accepted him. And he scratched and bit often. That was one thing about him that everyone knew - you can only pet him for about a minute before he will turn and bite the crap out of your hand.

He was even wanted by the police once! My mom answered the door to a police officer looking for a black and white cat that had attacked a woman on the next block. Chester had been all nicey-nicey to this 80 year old woman in her garden and then clawed her hand open! Mom had to prove that he had all his shots so he wouldn't have to be taken in and quarantined!

What a rebel!

Most of the time he was very independent and stand-offish, but in his last few weeks with my folks, he had become a secret lap kitty. My mom would go up to bed before my dad who stayed up to watch TV. Chester would wait until mom was gone and then jump up onto my dad's lap to snooze. How sneaky.

He was getting older and more frail, though. He had trouble getting up the steps and was very lethargic. It was his time. I know my folks are very sad, but there are many good memories of him, and he is in a better place.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

sorry to hear this.